Health and Wellness

Financial Support Services
Mental Health Resources
Peer Mentoring Program at Northern College

The Northern College Student Association enrolls all students in Lifeworks, a Mental Health Benefit website. Students can login with username: northern and password: lifeworks

Accommodation Guide to Managing Mental Health on Campus

One in five Canadians will experience a mental health problem this year, and the onset of the symptoms of mental ill health often occur between the ages of 15 and 24.  These numbers tell us that many students in post-secondary education will experience mental health problems while they are attending college or university. You may be a student or have a student in your classroom who has already been diagnosed with a mental health disability, or be in the process of being diagnosed.  Advising and Accessibility Services has provided an information guide that is accessible and relevant on managing mental health while on campus.

Accommodation Guide to Managing Mental Health on Campus (PPTX, 1.51 MB)

Leave the PackLeave the Pack Behind is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and they provide all of the smoking prevention and cessation materials for Northern College campus locations.  Students can go the site and request an 8 week supply of free nicotine patches and/or gum from the site.

Additional Resources

Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous. Group support and information for people wanting to stop drinking or drug use.

Bridging the Distance, a Pan-Northern Consortium dedicated to creating innovative and sustainable change for post secondary mental health services.

Canadian Mental Health Association offers information, advice and sources for referral.

Food Banks
Haileybury 705.679.5194 | Kirkland Lake 705.567.5877 | Timmins 705.235.3450

211 Ontario is a source for all health and social services

Mental Health Helpline or call 1-866-531-2600. The Mental Health Helpline is a live, 24/7 service providing information about mental health services in Ontario. The service is free, confidential and anonymous. Through phone, chat or e-mail, you can receive information about counselling services in your community, have someone listen to you, and receive basic information about mental illness. This is a health services funded by the Ontario Government.  Associated services include Drug and Alcohol Helpline and Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline.

Northern Star. Consumer/survivor and family support network, with actions  for persons who live with mental illness.

Ontario’s Post secondary Student Helpline offers 24/7 talk and referral service to students registered in a college or university in Ontario.

Salvation Army – thrift stores offering economical household items and clothing as well as operates food banks. Call for hours and locations. Haileybury 705.647.4115, Kirkland Lake 705.567.5877 and Timmins 705.267.3422.

Sexual Assault Helpline for women. Operated by the Pavilion Family Resource Centre. Telephone 1.888.871.9090

Smokers Help Line.  Free tools and information to help quit smoking.

The Good Samaritan Inn.  Telephone 705.235.4663.

Timmins Family Counselling Centre

Victim Support Line. Provides wide information on services that are available to you if you are a victim of crime. Telephone 1.888.579.2888.