Full-Time MAINTENANCE CARPENTER – Monteith
Ministry of the Solicitor General
Monteith Correctional Complex
C93024 – Mtce Carpenter (COR)
$24.91 – $27.01 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Understanding the job ad – definitions
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Monteith Correctional Complex seeks a skilled tradesperson with strong carpentry knowledge and experience to provide carpentry and general maintenance services. Located in beautiful Northern Ontario, Monteith Correctional Complex is a maximum security facility located in Monteith, a community located close to Iroquois Falls and just 50 minutes away from Timmins with direct air links to Toronto, Ottawa and a number of northern Ontario cities.
Please view location of the Monteith Correctional Complex on this MAP
The Ministry of the Solicitor General offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada’s Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto’s Top 90 Employers
• Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
• Canada’s Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• build, modify and replace structures mainly of wood including partitions, cupboards, doors, floor underlay and scaffolding
• maintain tools and equipment in safe working order
• plan and lay out work, referring to blueprints and diagrams
• provide estimates on material and labour requirements
• conduct administrative duties including filling out purchase requests and receive reports
• provide general maintenance and assist with new or renovation projects
• supervise and instruct selected inmate helpers
How do I qualify?
- You have a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence.
• You have a valid certification as a Carpenter designated by the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities or equivalent knowledge and experience.
Technical knowledge and experience:
- You have knowledge and experience in carpentry and construction techniques and related tools (i.e. saws, plans, chisels, scrapers and routers).
• You are familiar with carpentry techniques and are able to determine the methods of building, altering and replacing structures.
• You have knowledge of blueprints, sketches and plans in order to ensure proper layout and measurement of structures.
Safety and legislative knowledge:
- You understand safe practices in the use and maintenance of tools and equipment.
• You understand relevant by-laws and codes as well as the Occupational Health and Safety Act to ensure the safety of structures.
• You have knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) requirements for the safe handling of corrosive and toxic/chemical solutions.
• You are able to understand and follow institutional safety practices to ensure compliance with standards, proper equipment operation, and maintain the safety and security of the work area and inmate helpers.
Communication and interpersonal skills:
- You have oral communication skills to discuss repairs and work plans, and provide recommendation to management.
• You have written communication skills to prepare sketches and plans for structure replacements and constructions methods.
• You can interact with all levels of staff and stakeholders with a positive, friendly and courteous attitude.
Analytical and evaluative skills:
- You can provide estimates on labour and material requirements to build, modify and replace structures
• You can determine the correct tools, materials and methods to be used for building and structure maintenance and repairs
- 1 Permanent, 3052 Rese Rd, Monteith, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Category: Maintenance and Trades
Posted on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service). A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
68 total views, 2 today