Congratulations, you’re almost there!
May 7, 2021: Please note that as of May 7th, if you update your address, this change will not be reflected on your graduation documents. It will however, ensure you receive your grad pack.
Your final semester is underway and the end is in sight. This message is to let you know about document processing timelines so that you can plan accordingly, especially if you are graduating outside the college’s customary spring time convocation ceremonies.
Your graduation documents need be accurate in every detail, reliably reflecting your academic record, and supportive of college and program accreditation. Graduation preparations include your official transcript, your program certificate, diploma or degree, and certain other items in specific cases such as a program completion letter, Health Sciences pin, and even a correctly addressed envelope for delivery.
6 to 8 Weeks for Delivery
The entire document delivery process takes about 20 business days or approximately a month, which is very typical among post-secondary institutions world-wide, plus mail delivery time. Please add an additional one to two weeks of delivery time around the Christmas Holidays.
We apologize, but personal pick-up on campus is not currently possible in pandemic conditions.
Applications for Jobs, Studies, or Visas
Unofficial transcripts will be available in your student portal about two weeks following the final day of your program (last day of exams, placement or co-op, or extension). This is acceptable for most employer requests and will suffice temporarily if an employer requires an official transcript or diploma. If you require official graduation documents for a job application, college or university application, or a work permit, please note these document delivery timelines to plan for your post-graduation activity.
Work Permit – Extending Your Study Permit
If your study permit expires shortly after your graduation, request an extension as soon as possible from IRCC in order to remain compliant with immigration requirements and stress-free in the several weeks before you receive your documents and complete your work permit application.
How Documents Get Delayed
- Wrong address. Please make sure you update your Canadian mailing address at MyNorthern Student Portal – log into your student account and see left hand menu.
- Outstanding payment. The College Academic Policy #A-7 Convocation Requirements states that students with outstanding fees will not receive an official transcript or certificate/diploma. Use MyNorthern Student Portal to check for your balance owing and to pay it.
- Delayed final grade. Due to extension of assignment, exam re-write, placement, or co-op, your final grade may be delayed. Be sure to let your Coordinator know when you have fully completed your program.
Upon the final day of your program (last day of exams, placement or co-op, or extension) the documentation process outlined above will begin.
Please expect up to 20 business days for production of your official graduation documents and for them to be mailed from the college by regular post.
- Delivery time within campus regions is typically a week, and in pandemic conditions with half the Canada Post staff sorting four times the usual volume, it is about two weeks.
- Delivery time within the Toronto region is typically about two weeks and in pandemic conditions with half the Canada Post staff sorting four times the usual volume, it is about four weeks.
Please Plan Ahead: It takes about 6 to 8 weeks to receive your college documents by mail. Personal pick-up on campus will not be possible. Be sure your address, program requirements, payments, pathway institution deadlines, employer needs, or study permit timelines are all in order for ideal document delivery.